How to get the most out of Uni
You’re going to University to get a Degree… of course. But there is so much more to University life than just studying...
Here are our tops tips for getting the most out of your University experience:
- Make the most of freshers week. This is the ultimate party, there are so many events going on and so many chances to meet new people.
- Go to Freshers Fairs. Not only are these great for getting LOTS of free stuff, but you can sign up to societies and clubs that you love or would love to try.
- Explore your city. Student cities are full of bars and clubs, but also other quirky places like crazy golf or escape rooms.
- Make tonnes of friends. You’ll meet so many interesting people at Uni and there will be so many chances to meet them. Join clubs, speak to flatmates and really throw yourself into making as many friends as possible.
- Go to careers events. These can provide fantastic opportunities to meet people in the industry, it's a great chance to chat with them and ask any questions you have.
- Study. We had to include this one... After all, that's what Uni is about!
- Don’t go full-on all the time. You’ve got a minimum of 3 years at University, don’t feel like you have to do everything within the first few months, pace yourself and leave some time for yourself.
- Create good relationships with tutors and staff. Be polite, ask questions and go to all your lessons. You may not think that it will make a difference, but trust us lecturers notice those who are there and those who rarely are. It will come in handy when you need help or advice later on.
- If you're struggling, ask for help. There are so many support services available for students. Whether its stress, workload, accommodation, relationships or even money, ask someone for help and you will get it.
- Learn to say yes more. University offers students so many fantastic opportunities, whether its work placements, study abroad programmes, summer courses, or even extra courses. Take these opportunities to learn new skills that will look great on your CV.
- Think about the future. Even though University is all about enjoying the now, it's important to consider your future, in terms of jobs or further education. Use any extra time you have to look into job prospects and ask University resources about help with recruitment.