Before you’re able to study in the UK, you must apply and have been granted a UK student visa.
There are two types of UK student visas you can apply for if you’ll be studying towards an Undergraduate, Postgraduate or a Master’s degree here in the UK:
• Tier 4 General Student Visa
• Short-term Student Visa
Tier 4 General Student Visa
A Tier 4 (general) student visa is available for prospective students aged 16+ from overseas of whom are intending to study in the UK.
In order to apply for a Tier 4 student visa, your university course must start no more than 28 days after the end of your current leave. You can find out more regarding leave times here.
You can apply for this visa if you meet the following criteria:
· You can speak, read, write and understand English
· You have been offered a place on a University[L1] course
· You’re from a country that’s not part of the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland
· You must also meet the following eligibility requirements
When to apply?
The earliest you can apply for this visa is 3 months prior to starting your course. You will then receive confirmation of your visa within 3 weeks, providing you pass the checks.
A Tier 4 student visa costs £328 to apply for per person. You must also pay for the healthcare surcharge as part of your application.
More details regarding this can be found here.
A short-term study visa
This visa is ideal for prospective students studying for a short-course in the UK. Similar to the Tier-4 student visa, only those living outside of the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland can apply. Full eligibility criteria can be found here.
How long can you stay for?
You can apply for this visa if the following applies to you:
· You’ll be studying in the UK for up to 6 months
· If you’re 18+ years old and taking an English language course, you can stay for up to 11 months
A short term visa costs:
· £89 if you’re staying for up to 6 months
· £170 if you’re staying for up to 11 months
When to apply?
You can apply for this visa up to 3 months prior to your date of arrival in the UK. You’ll then receive the application decision within 3 weeks. Full details of the processing times can be found here.